Instruction in architecture in Croatia began as early as 1919/20 with the foundation of the Royal Technical College in Zagreb which included the Department of Architecture as one of its sections. A few years later, in 1926, the college became the Technical Faculty within the University of Zagreb. For the next thirty years the Department of Architecture in the Technical faculty was the only institution for higher architectural education. In 1956 the Technical Faculty was divided into several schools. One of them was the Faculty of Architecture, Civil engineering and Geodesy with the Department of Architecture enjoying a partially independent status. Six years later, in 1962/63, the Faculty of Architecture was created as an independent institution for architectural instruction and has remained such since then. Recently study programs are fully compatible to Bologna program of high education in Europe. The first diplomas of that program were given in this year (2011).
The Faculty of Architecture of the University of Zagreb is the only institution of higher education in Croatia that combines instruction and research in the fields of architecture and urban design. The first International research project was Energy and Ambience Rehabilitation in Housing developed under the USA-Yugoslav joint venture program, 1985 (Department of Energy (DOE), PN 777).
Recent projects mostly supported by Intelligent Energy Europe (PASS-NET, INTENSE, IDES-EDU) and the seventh EU framework (PERFECTION) are confirmation of continuous research development. Research, architectural projects and realizations are continuously presented on exhibitions, national and international scientific and professional conferences.